You might have gone through a number of articles about setting up and uses of Google Analytics for your website traffic analysis. However unlike to such general articles, I am going to explain some really wonderful and amazing facts about using Google Analytics data for increasing your Traffic and optimizing your website.
I am also a webmaster and as per my personal experience I would suggest keeping an eye on your analytics stats on daily or at-least weekly basis. However you must also devote a full day for getting detailed knowledge of your traffic stats once a quarter.
Don’t Miss How to Add Goals in Google Analytics
As far as the data is considered, there are so much statistics available for you in your analytics accounts that you can easily get lost. So I am putting here some of the most important points that you should consider looking at while analyzing the Google Analytics.
- Traffic Sources ->Sources –>Search ->Organic ->Keywords: Under Traffic section, go to Sources and select the keywords there. You will come to know about which keywords are driving the most visitors to your pages. You must take care what search queries are benefitting you the most so as to capitalize on those particular search queries.
- Traffic Sources ->Sources –>Referrals: Along with organic traffic and keywords, the second important factor you should analyze is the third party sites that are sending the quality visitors to you. You should spend time and efforts to make your presence even more visible on these websites to keep getting those valuable visits.
- Audience Overview: This section will let you know about how many unique visits are you getting versus the returning visitors of your website. You can get the complete knowledge of in what part of your website the new visitors are getting interested in and what is making the old visitors returning back.
- Content ->Overview –> Top Pages: Knowing the most popular pages will let you know what type of content is attracting visitors and hence you can optimize the other pages using same strategy to grab the attention of visitors from overall website.
- Visits: Keep a close eye on the visits on your website. You must analyze factors like what day you are getting more visits, from what countries most of the visits are coming etc. These factors can let you optimize your website to a great extent like if you’re getting more visits just after weekend then you can publish new content around these days to capture the easy attention.
Now that we have an understanding of some of the most important reports to analyze for your website, let’s dig into each of them to provide examples on how you can use the data to make real impactful changes to your website and website marketing.
Use Keyword Reports to Optimize Your Website
Knowing which keywords to optimize your website with is crucial in attracting the right visitors. Here’s how you can utilize the Keyword reports in Google Analytics:
- Go into the Traffic Sources Overview section of Google Analytics
- Find your Top ten performing keywords and make a list of those keywords
- Go back through your website and begin infusing them into your website content
- Use them as anchor text for your URLs
- Name your images with your top ten keywords
- Add title tags and Alt tags to your images using your top ten keywords
- Create a list of new blog topics that you want to write about and be sure to infuse your top ten keywords into those articles
This way you can achieve very crucial data about your website for optimizing it for great benefits. Among all these reports you must give most attention to the keyword reports and utilize them to improve your site around those keywords. Also you need to improve your website for the secondary keywords which have potential to get more visits for your website.
Give Time to the Referral Websites that are Generating More Visits to Your Site
These referral websites would give you very critical information and idea to get more traffic for your website. Make sure to follow the below mentioned steps to make most of those referring websites:
- Login into your analytics account.
- Navigate to Traffic Sources and view the report for Referral sites data.
- Analyze the sites referring most of the visits to you and inquiry whether these sites are having a good user trust and reputation and are these the ones on which you have put most effort to get traffic?
- Start optimizing your website on those top referrals. For example if the top referral site is an article website where you recently submitted an article. If son, put more content on the same website writing about your most popular keywords.
- Talking about Social media, Find out if Twitter is working better than Facebook for your website. If so, then give some extra time to Twitter to optimize it to keep on generating this traffic and also devote some fraction of your time to Facebook and other social media sites as well.
- If you have placed banner ads on some sites then collect information to find out whether all the banners are working for you or which banner ad is performing the best. This way you can remove the non-performing banner ads and can ask from the most traffic generating referral website with you banner, to expand your banner in more space so as to grab even more attention from there.
Hence using referring websites can save a lot of your efforts in analyzing which affiliate sites, download portals, link partners etc are generating more visitors to you and hence putting your efforts in right directions to make most of these valuable and definite resources.
Optimize Website for keeping New and Returning Visitors to Visit Again
You must also analyze your visitors profile by navigating to the Audience Overview Reports. You must be aware of what fraction of your total traffic is coming from new visitors and returning visitors. You must think from both perspectives to make your new visitor interested in your website and to thanks your returning visitors by making them feel special. Below are some ideas to interact with your visitors in special ways:
- If you have a product website then make provision to give extra discount to your returning visitors on next orders.
- Make sure to send a Thank You note and a message for asking them to contact you if they found any problem in using the product for the first time. A
- Give you visitors a visible link to your FAQ page to make your users understand about the complete details about how to use the product.
Adding more content that your visitors are interested in
Turning to the content part, as content is king today so don’t forget to analyze the most paying content from Content overview under your analytics section.
- Navigate to the Content Overview part of the Google Analytics and look for Top Pages report there.
- Analyze the topmost pages that are highly visited in last few months.
- Collect the details about what type of data is displayed there and in what type of content the users are interested in so as you can implement the same strategy on other pages as well.
- Put your most fascinating offers on these top performing pages so as to make most of the visits you get there.
- Improve web design of your website as much as you can.
Hence you have seen how much value the analytics actually stores for you. You just have to pay careful attention to it by regularly analyzing the reports and giving time to make necessary changes to your website as per the above discussion.
Don’t forget to share your view about the post in comments section.